This E.S.B is a remake of the of the first recipe we made. The original intention of this batch, was to make it for a wedding. We had given out some of our beer and ESB was the one that was liked the most. So, we decided to make a double batch. By this point we had two pots, the electric one we made and the normal pot+inductive stove one.
For all intents and purposes the process was the same, we just had one batch running in the bathroom, and another in the kitchen. The reason for this is the electricity breaker limit of 10A. Since the bathroom has a separate 16A breaker for the washing machine, this was the only option. I’ll go through the recipe as usual since it wasn’t exactly the same as our first beer and then I’ll elaborate a bit on the process differences.
2 x 19L
- 4.20 Kg Pale malt (Finnish Viking Malt 5 EBC)
- 220 gr Carapils/Dextrine
- 220 gr Caramel/Crystal 60L
- 30 gr Fuggles (90 mins)
- 20 gr Willamette (90 mins)
- 15 gr Cascade (90 mins)
- 14 gr Willamette (10 mins)
- 28 gr East Kent Goldings (2 mins)
- WYeast #1084
Since we a pre-final version of our “automated” system (again, more on this later), we decided to try a step mash. Here are the steps:
- 15 min at 52°C protein rest
- 45 min at 67°C saccharification rest
90 min, normal boil.
- 1 teaspoon of dry irish moss as a clarifier (Not in original recipe)
- 1/2 teaspoon WLP yeast nutrient (Not in original recipe)
- 2 Litre yeast starter/ split in two, half for each batch
- 2 weeks
- Temperature 21-22°C (Higher than ideal, but worked fine)
Since it was easier to mash with our electric pot, both batches were mashed in the same pot, but boiled separately. In order to make both batches taste as much the same as possible they were blended together half and half on different fermenters. Pre-boiled, pre-cooled water was added to make both batches 19-20L. Measured gravities were as follows:
Batch#1: Pre-boil: 1.046
Batch#2: Pre-boil: 1.054
Only one batch measured: OG: 1.050, FG: 1.010
For some reason after fermentation one batch came out cloudier than the other, perhaps the difference in the boil had something to do with it as the electric pot boils better than the one on the inductive stove. Other than that, taste came out pretty much the same on both batches. Unfortunately, the wedding was cancelled and we still have some left. Considering this batch was brewed in June, the beers have lasted quite a bit.
This batch was interesting due to the amount brewed and the differences in them. While the flavour of the beer was mostly the same on both batches some difference could be tasted. I attribute this to the different geometry of the fermenters, as I’ve read that this might affect fermentation. But who knows. It might have been a good idea to blend the batches post fermentation, and not just pre-fermentation. Either way the beer came out well. Not my favourite, but everyone else liked it, so that’s good enough for me 🙂
Uuummm maybe a pic of the beer would be nice! So we can view the tone, carbonization, etc.. 😀
I’ll try to edit the post later. This won’t be possible with all of them since at the moment we’re play
… Playing catch up with the posts. On a side note. The WordPress app sucks.
The app does suck…if you are updating your blog via your phone, you must have the patience of a monk.