This beer was our first “own recipe”. This is to say it wasn’t exactly designed or anything, it was, in a way, improvised. The name comes from the fact that this beer was made with all our left over malts. We didn’t plan anything,we just added EVERYTHING we had left. The only design came in the hops and the yeast. Here’s the recipe. Batch size was 19L.
- 680 gr Maris Otter
- 770 gr Pale malt (Finnish)
- 820 gr Halcyon pale ale
- 30 gr Melanoiden malt
- 30 gr Wheat malt
- 80 gr Munich malt type 1
- 100 gr chocolate malt
- 20 gr Crystal malt (75L)
- 14 gr Nugget (60 min boil) Pellet
- 14 gr Cascade (30 min boil) Pellet
- 14 gr Willamette (15 min boil) Pellet
- 22 gr East Kent Goldings (10 min boil) (Flower)
- None considered yet
- Safale S05 American Ale (Dry Yeast)
The recipe specifies a 60 min mash at 68°C-69°C.
60 min, normal boil. 10 min hot break boil before adding first hops.
- 1 teaspoon of dry irish moss as a clarifier
- 1/2 teaspoon WLP yeast nutrient
- Yeast rehydrated in a cup of pre-boiled/cooled water
- Planned for 2 weeks
Pre-boil gravity was 1.035 which is roughly were the it was estimated. OG was around 1.040. This beer will most likely be quite low in ABV given the low amount of base malts, estimated ABV is around 3.7 and 4.0%.
It was quite interesting to use dry yeast again. The yeast package suggested to just sprinkle it on the wort, but reading some forums I decided to re-hydrate it. I used pre-boiled water and StarSan to clean and disinfect the necessary cups and spoon for stirring. We had some trouble with the fermentation because it took a bit longer than usual to start. More than 15 hrs to start and around 24 hrs to become really active. I think that the problem in this case was that since our thermometer decided to stop working we overcooled the wort. While this is not a problem for the yeast, it probably took it a while to get to optimal temperature and start fermentation effectively. Next time we’ll try just sprinkling it, just to see the difference in reactions times.
Another interesting issue was the hopping. I’ve been reading on beer design, and while I’m not quite proficient yet I understood the process better. I decided to use Nugget for long boil bittering because of its high alpha acid content. The other hops were chosen based on low/medium alpha acid and aroma potential. The amount was decided based on previous recipe experience. Not much to do but wait and see how it turns out!